Facebook can be really handy when it comes to knowing when your friends’ birthdays are. However, it can be difficult to figure out where to find the information you need; especially since it’s a different process on your computer than through the app on your phone.
Have you ever been scrolling through your newsfeed one day and noticed that you missed a friend’s birthday only because other people were posting happy birthday wishes on their wall? (Click here to find out why birthday are special) Just because Facebook gives you access to peoples’ birthdays doesn’t mean that you will always see those events and remember them. Use these tips to learn how to better use Facebook and other tools (like your Apple, Google, Microsoft Office or Nouri Calendar) to your advantage to be a better friend.
How to change your Facebook birthday settings on your computer:
- Go to Facebook.com and sign into your account if you haven’t already
- Go to your profile
- Click “About” section
- Under the About section, click “Contact and Basic Info”
- Scroll down to “Basic Information”
- Put cursor over the pencil icon next to your birthday and click “edit”
- You can change your birthdate and then save the changes
- OR if you want to change who can see your birthday
- Click the box on the right-hand side with outlines of people on it or the box with a lock on it
- Select which setting you want for who can see your birthday
- “Save Changes”
How to change your Facebook birthday settings on the app
- Click the three horizontal lines on the top right-hand corner of the screen OR on the bottom left-hand side for Apple
- Click your name (“See Your Profile”)
- Next, “Edit profile” under your name
- Scroll all the way to the bottom and click “Edit your about info”
- Scroll down to “Basic Info” and hit the edit button
- Under “Birthday” you can edit the date or change who can see your birthday
- Click the button with outlines of people on it or the box with a lock on it to change who can see your birthday
How to see birthdays on Facebook on your computer:
- Make sure you’re on your main feed – Click “Home” on the top right corner of your screen to ensure this
- On the left-hand side of your feed, click “See More” and scroll until you see “Events”
- On the left-hand side under “Events” click “Birthdays”
- Now you can scroll through and see “Today’s Birthdays”, “Recent Birthdays”, and “Upcoming Birthdays”
How to Find where birthdays are on the Facebook app: Android
- On the Main homepage, click on the 3 horizontal bars in the upper right-hand corner
- Scroll down until you see “Events”, with the calendar icon, and click on the box
- On the upper part of the screen, there will be a bar that you can scroll through that includes “Your Events”, a bell icon, and “Birthdays” – Click on “Birthdays”
- This should bring up “Today’s Birthdays”, “Recent Birthdays”, and “Upcoming Birthdays”
How to find where birthdays are on the Facebook app: Apple
- The only way to see birthdays on the app is by searching that person’s name and going to their profile
- Once on their profile, click their “About Info”
- If they’ve enabled their Facebook friends or the public to see their birthday then you should be able to see it
How to download birthdays off of Facebook on your computer:
- Facebook has made it impossible to download your friend’s birthday information from Facebook due to data privacy concerns.
- This trend of closing users off from information like birthdays that can serve as a foundation to nurturing your relationships with others is only going to continue as data privacy concerns gain popularity. You need an app where you can control the information you know about the important people in your life. Nouri is the perfect app for you (Click to learn more about Nouri).
How to download birthdays off of the Facebook app:
- Unfortunately, you are not able to download your list of birthdays off of the Facebook app to your phone. Use Nouri to keep track of those important dates and to nurture those relationships
How to Keep track of Facebook birthdays:
It is very helpful that Facebook allows your friends to let you see their birthdays but it can be extremely hard to keep track of all of those events! The best way to not lose track or miss birthdays would be to:
- Check Facebook every day for birthdays
- Use the Nouri app! Nouri is a free app to help you keep track of your friends, including their birthdays and notes about what they like. You use Nouri by uploading your contacts to the app from your iOS or Android phone. You then can set reminders for their birthdays and other important events in their lives so that you never miss another birthday again.
Facebook doesn’t give enough notice for birthdays
For the people you really care about, you’ll want to do more than just post a generic “Happy birthday!” on their wall. Nouri helps you keep all of your birthday notifications in one place. With Nouri you can choose how far in advance you want notifications for each upcoming birthday so that you can have plenty of time to prepare the perfect gift.